Saturday, October 17, 2009

Jessica Sets Sail

Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard has wished young sailor Jessica Watson all the best in her world record quest, and urged her to keep safe.


Ms Gillard said the 16-year-old Queensland teenager appeared determined to try to become the youngest person to sail single-handedly around the world.

"I suppose my words at this stage, Laurie, would be: Best of Luck," Ms Gillard said on the Nine Network.

"The seas are, obviously, a dangerous and lonely place, but I think we'd all be wishing Jessica well.

"And, if there's one message, I think it would be: keep safe, to do everything she needs to do to keep safe.

"And if that means that at some point she's got to abandon the journey, then the most important thing here is a young person's life."

Asked if she should be going, Ms Gillard said people made their own decisions.

"Ultimately, people have to make their own decisions.

"I think a lot of Australians are nervous for Jessica. I'm nervous for her."

Full story: 

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/gillard-wishes-teen-sailor-safe-trip-20091018-h2fb.html

No comments:

Post a Comment